With nearly 120 Prince de Bretagne organic vegetable farms certified or in conversion, France’s leading organic vegetable producer group had a production volume of 20,000 tons in 2018, is expecting 25,000 tons in 2019 and will reach 32,000 tons in 2020. Strengthened by more than 20 years of experience in organic farming, Prince de Bretagne’s organic vegetable producers have reaffirmed their commitment to contributing to its development to mark Organic Spring.
Georges Guézénoc, President of CERAFEL Prince de Bretagne’s organic section and producer of organic endives, Traditional shallots, broccoli and squash presents these commitments.
“OUR COMMITMENTS FOR DEVELOPING ORGANIC AGRICULTURE”:
Guaranteeing rigorous compliance with European organic specifications:
- “The best way to offer consumers a clear label and harmonised practices that respect the environment.”
- Continuing dedicated organic research through “Terre d’Essais”, our own experimental station: “An indispensable tool for continued progress.”
- Continuing to breed and produce our own seeds, through the work of OBS: “Seeds specifically adapted to our region’s climatic conditions.”
- Offering GlobalG.A.P.* certified organic vegetables: “Which includes recycling the materials used during cultivation.”
- Ensuring a fair return for producers and encouraging the installation of younger generations: “More than 50% of Prince de Bretagne’s organic producers are young farmers!”
- Not opposing different types of agriculture: “On their farms, producers are independent and remain their own decision-makers even if they have chosen to group together in a collective under a strong brand.”
“OUR GUARANTEES TO CONSUMERS”:
- Offering quality organic vegetables: “Because good, fine-looking and organic are not incompatible.”
- Guaranteeing that 100% of our vegetables are grown in Brittany: “Securing jobs and the attractiveness of our region.”
- Offering a range of more than 40 fresh organic vegetables throughout the year: “Thanks to our long crop rotations.”
To conclude, Georges Guézénoc adds: “It’s not by imposing their vision but by showing solidarity with one another that Prince de Bretagne’s producers have developed and will continue to develop ever-more environmentally friendly farming practices. Today, 100% of Prince de Bretagne’s producers are committed to a progress plan and are a breeding ground for organic agriculture.” And he lets slip the famous Breton proverb “An douar a zo re gozh evit ober goap outañ.” (The earth is too old not to be respected).
*GlobalG.A.P. (Good Agricultural Practices) certification: a set of globally recognised traceability and food safety standards for agricultural, plant, animal and aquaculture production.
Key figures – Prince de Bretagne Organic Vegetables:
116 producers committed to organics, comprising:
91 certified – 25 in conversion
Production: 2017-2018: 20,000 tons
- 2018-2019: 25,000 tons
- 2019-2020: 32,000 tons (arrival of producers at the end of their conversion period)
- 2020-2021: 38,000 tons
- In terms of volumes, Prince de Bretagne is France’s Number 1 organic vegetable producer.
- Range: More than 40 fruits and vegetables
For more information:
Stand (No. 4 B07, Hall 4) at Fruit Attraction.