On Thursday 23 May 2019, FruitVegetablesEUROPE (EUCOFEL) met in Brussels with other European and national associations in the agricultural sector to discuss how to address concerns about the EU’s trade policy. At the meeting, the “Alliance for the Defence of European Agriculture” (ADEA) was formed.
The Alliance is pro-European and calls for support from the newly elected MEPs to defend and promote European farmers and products, and ensure a level-playing field in trade agreements with third countries.
FruitVegetablesEUROPE’s President, Juan Marín, said: “The Alliance wants greater determination from the EU institutions to insist that all imports of agri-food products meet exactly the same standards imposed on European producers.”
In addition to these food-safety requirements, there needs to be more focus on the environmental and social sustainability criteria when negotiating trade agreements with third countries.
The Alliance collectively demands that:
– European agriculture is not undermined in trade agreements with third countries;
– Imported products respect the same production standards as those imposed on European producers, both in conventional and organic farming;
– European consumers have access to transparent information regarding the differences between EU production models and those of third countries;
– European consumers understand and support the social and cultural aspects of the EU farming.
The Alliance is open to all sectors willing to defend the EU agriculture.
The founding members of the Alliance are:
- FruitVegetablesEUROPE (EUCOFEL)
- FEPEX – Spanish Federation of fruit and vegetables producers & exporters (Spain)
- CGC – Spanish Citrus Management Committee (Spain)
- APROA – Association of Producer Organisations of Fruit and Vegetables of Andalusia (Spain)
- UGPBAN – French Banana sector (France)
- ASPROCAN – Spanish Banana sector (Spain)
- GESBA – Portuguese Banana sector (Portugal) APEB – European Banana Association (EU)
- ANPCA- Spanish Garlic producers and traders (Spain
- KZGPOiW- Polish national Association of fruit and vegetables producer groups (Poland)
- AOPn Tomato & Cucumber from France (France)
- INCOFRUIT Hellas (Greece)
- The Irish Cattle and Sheep Association (Ireland)
- The European Sugar Manufacturer’s Association (EU)
- The European Beet Growers (EU)