Witness of Giampiero d’Onofrio (CJO): “Promising start of the 2021/2022 season in Battipaglia. Early variety of reference for future seasons in this area “.
Further confirmation of the potential of the CIV Parthenope®CIVS115 * variety, already established in the Alto Casertano area, comes from the Piana del Sele, the strawberry growing area famously identified with Battipaglia (SA) and which has played a fundamental role in the first years of development of this crop in Italy, but by now it has become a specialized area for this crop (about 200 hectares of very high-quality production remain today) following the development of “fourth range” horticultural productions.
Giampiero D’Onofrio Technical Manager of the Jonico Ortofrutticoltori Consortium (CJO) – to which takes part the Società Agricola Gio’ Farm (belonging to the Salvi family) – tells us of his experience of three consecutive years of cultivation of this variety with growing surfaces, and of the decision in the current 2021/222 season to plant around 300,000 misted tips.
“In this season, the misted tips were transplanted at two different times: about 60% between 20-30 September 2021 and the remaining 40% from 3-7 October 2021. Thanks to the vigor and adaptability of this variety, such plantlets transplanted at the beginning of October have quickly recovered the gap compared to those planted previously, even showing a qualitative level almost superior to the latter. In both cases, were recorder excellent results”.
“The Parthenope® CIVS115 * variety is a low-chill variety” – continues D’Onofrio – “with a low environmental impact, as it requires little fertilization. The plant has an excellent root system, with an open growth habit, which well explores the soil and is able to easily catch the necessary nutrients. The variety also lends itself to the use of useful insects for the integrated fight against the main pests of strawberries, such as thrips and red spider mites. The time of the first harvest runs from 20 December 2021 until the end of January 2022, with a production peak of about 30/40 grams per plant from 20 January”:
The organoleptic characteristics and the aesthetics of the fruit make Parthenope®CIVS115 * a unique variety. Indeed, even D’Onofrio confirms that: “despite the low winter temperatures there are no deformed fruits with irregularities in the color. The fruit maintains a bright red color over the entire surface, which also remains the same even when temperatures rise late in the season. Furthermore, the fruits show an elongated conical shape, highly distinctive and regular for the entire duration of the harvest. It is also worth underlining the high resistance to handling thanks to the excellent fruit firmness which gives Parthenope® CIVS115 * a long shelf-life, making it possible to sell it both in the common markets and – above all – in large-scale distribution, our privileged sales channel. To conclude, the size is good and allows the processing of fruit in all types and packaging: from the tray of 250 gr, ½ kg to the single-layer 1 kg. ”
D’Onofrio says: “in general, the agronomic and commercial performances described above, allow us to identify the cultivation of Parthenope® CIVS115 * misted tips as a valuable choice for future seasons in this area during the early segment. We are confident that the high flavor, excellent aroma, and brix degree of the fruit, together with the crunchy and firm texture of the flesh, will make CIVS115 * / Parthenope® a variety that will certainly find great appreciation by consumers. “
Sheet / CIV – Italian Nursery Consortium
The CIV – Italian Nursery Consortium – is a leader in Italy in varietal innovation and the production of certified propagation materials. Active since 1983, based in San Giuseppe di Comacchio, in the province of Ferrara, the CIV is made up of three leading Italian nurseries in the sector: Vivai Mazzoni, Salvi Vivai, Tagliani Vivai. Through synergy, experience and significant investments in research, CIV is able to offer cutting-edge products that are more responsive to market needs. The CIV, with great foresight, has been committed for years to selecting varieties that can provide high-quality productions with reduced energy requirements and low environmental impact. Overall, the three nurseries produce about 5 million rootstocks, 3.5 million apple, pear, and stone fruit plants, 150 million strawberry plants every year. CIV is a founding member of the International New-varieties Network (INN), a worldwide association of nurseries that promotes the exchange, evaluation, and marketing of new varieties in the main production areas around the world.