New Covent Garden Market wins sustainability award

Thu 07/12/2023 by Richard Wilkinson

London’s New Covent Garden Market has been recognised at the annual Green Apple Environment Awards, which promotes environmental best practice around the world. The Green Apple, to be presented during a ceremony at the UK’s Houses of Parliament in November, recognises New Covent Garden Market’s important work in promoting sustainability and 100 per cent recycling across the estate.

Celebrating the market’s ongoing relationship with waste management partner Bio collectors, the award is Green Apple’s environmental improvement prize for ‘Cultivating a Circular Economy: Bio collectors and New Covent Garden Market powering towards a greener future together.’

 “As the landlord and management company of the market, we have an excellent working relationship with Bio collectors,” said Colin Corderoy, senior operations manager for the market. “Bio collectors are local, their HGVs run on biogas generated from waste from the market and they are also able to use our waste to pump gas back into the network.”

The market recycles 100 per cent of its organic waste, which is transferred to an anaerobic digestion facility. All other waste – paper, wood, plastic, glass, and metal – is recycled (95 per cent) with the remaining 5 per cent converted as waste to energy. Nothing goes to landfill.


Subscribe to our Newsletter

Most read on social media

Popular news