Facts share that in the USA:
- Diet quality from meals from schools significantly has improved since 2010, when the Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act was signed.
- Healthy school meals for all is said to be the new objective of having meals as part of the school program.
- Farm to school is growing. More schools are making local purchases.
- Food safety and regulations, according to inspectors, have been followed impeccably since 2004.
Meals that kids find exciting is a marketing and culinary strategy that:
- Understands who is eating by creating demographic-appropriate and culturally relevant dishes.
- Has a restaurant-style approach with bowls, tacos, enchilada. Which allows having produce at the centre. USDA meal credit requires at least 1/2 cup of fruits and vegetables.
- Innovates with cooking techniques adapted to school kitchens that explore flavour.
Today more than ever, meals play a big part of the school itinerary.
“Children get their healthiest meals at school,” said Catharine Powers.