Corona Farmers Market in Queens (New York) © Public domain
United Fresh Produce Association has reported that fresh produce sales in most segments remain higher than in the past two years, as rising prices drove up revenue, despite a slight fall in consumption. While most fruit dollars declined, berries and lemons increased. Additionally, six out of the top ten vegetable categories reported dollar growth.
Other key findings:
- Total produce household trips to the store are up 4.6 percent vs a year ago
- Salad kits continue to gain in popularity, as dollar share grew +2.1 pts
- Quarterly sales of organic produce eclipse $2.3 Billion
- Mixed fruit are the top selling value-added category and eight out of top ten categories reported growth
- Shopper spend on value-added vegetables continues to grow, with 2.7 percent dollar contribution of value-added vegetables to total produce