Fruilar boosts peach and nectarine supply

Wed 20/07/2016 by Richard Wilkinson
Thanks to its balance between pome fruit and stone fruit, Fruilar has a year-round supply of fruit.

Over the years, Catalan company Fruilar has earned a strong reputation as one of the leading suppliers and distributors of the high quality Pink Lady apple variety in Europe.

The firm enjoys the same reputation for its stone fruit supply and specialises in exporting top quality produce over long distances. Thanks to the balance between both items – pome fruit accounting for 60% of the supply and stone fruit the remaining 40% – the company can supply produce without interruption during 52 weeks of the year.

The 450 ha currently marketed by Fruilar marketing provide a volume of 15,000 tons per year, which is set to increase with the addition of new producers.

“As the result of a new partnership with a family of producers, for this campaign we’ll be adding around 1,500 tons more to our peach and nectarine assortment,” said manager Joan Serentil.

In stone fruit the company produces 3,000 tons of nectarines, 800 tons of Saturn peach and 1,000 tons of peaches.

A significant slice of Fruilar produce is exported to Brazil, its third most important market.

“Brazil has been badly hit economically, but fortunately it didn’t affect us much us because we specialise in the southern zone, which is slightly more stable than the rest of the country,” Serentil said.

On strategies for this campaign, he said the aim will be to increase the company’s presence in northern Europe and the UK. As for the future, all eyes are now on Asia.

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Most read on social media

Popular news