There are many ways to use the fresh fruit and vegetables you buy but don’t eat soon enough. To avoid waste, you can stew them or make jams, ice cream or smoothies with them, for example.
And from the Spanish promotional organisation 5 al día (5 a day), here are some ways to use your fruit and veg for easy to prepare natural beauty treatments.
Make a puree by mashing the pulp of the papaya.
- Add a tablespoon of honey and mix well.
- Spread across face and leave for 10 minutes.
- Wash off with cold water.
A coconut and honey peeling facial
Peels and scrubs can help make skin look younger and more by removing dead skin cells. This mask requires: one coconut, a couple of tablespoons of honey and a little water.
- Remove the coconut flesh and mix it with the honey to create a smooth paste.
- Spread it over the face and gently massage in circular movements
- Leave on for 5-10 minutes.
For unbreakable nails – garlic
To make your nails stronger, 5 al día recommends using garlic but with the assurance you won’t end up smelling of it!
- Chop up a clove of garlic and add it to your nail polish.
- Let it marinate about three days before use so the garlic smell clears.
The best way to promote healthy skin is to have at least 5 servings of fruit and vegetables every day – whether raw, liquified, in cold or warm soups, juices, etc. – along with a variety of foods, says 5 al día. Based in Madrid, it is a not-for-profit organisation which promotes the consumption of fresh fruit and vegetables.